- 12 oz (1 package) spicy chicken sausage*
- 2 TBSP olive oil and olive oil spray or additional 1 tsp
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb escarole, chopped
- 5 c chicken broth, low sodium*
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- Optional: red pepper flakes for more heat
- In a large soup pot on medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil or a light oil spray. Brown chicken sausage on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan, let sit until able to cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add 2 TBSP oil to the pot, and sauté garlic for about 10-15 seconds. Don’t let it get too brown. Add the escarole, a dash of salt and stir until wilted; about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, cannellini beans, sausage, cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use Italian chicken sausage instead of spicy to please all palates. Add red pepper flakes to individual bowls for those who like more heat.
- Use vegetable broth and omit sausage for a vegetarian option.
- Can’t find escarole? Use spinach or baby kale instead.
- If you find yourself with one quart of broth (4 cups) just add a cup of water to make up the difference.