I really love that vegetables are becoming a lot more interesting in today’s world. So many choices are now readily available in local supermarkets. There weren’t carrot noodles, squash shaped fries, or broccoli tots when I was growing up. It definitely makes getting your veggies in easier which is much more enjoyable for everyone. Yay for millennial parenting!
I know cauliflower is having it’s moment as a gluten-free alternative to the regular pizza crust we’re used to. Honestly it should be; it’s nutritious and delicious. However, we need to come together and get broccoli to take the reins. These mini pizzas are a great way to add some greens to an already kid favorite meal. All you need is a package of frozen broccoli tots, your favorite sauce, cheese and some turkey pepperoni. That’s it! I’ve made these with just cheese and ham, and basically any combo of whatever is in the fridge. They always work. Hi five for healthy foods that your kids will ask for over and over again!
Before you start: You need a muffin pan. Use 4 tots per cup. You can make a full pan of pizzas or as many as you’d like. I typically make half a pan, so I use 24 tots. A plus for my math skills….
- About 1/2 bag of Green Giant’s Plain Broccoli Veggie Tots (they sell plain broccoli and cheesy broccoli), defrosted. Transfer the amount of tots you need to a microwave safe plate and use the defrost setting on your microwave. Or you can let them thaw in the fridge. Who really has time for the fridge thing tho? Just use the microwave please.
- 1 tsp, for each pizza, of your favorite sauce
- A small handful of mozzarella cheese, for each pizza
- 1 slice of turkey pepperoni, or any topping you prefer, for each pizza
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Put 4 tots in each cup, and firmly press them in to create your crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Remove pan from the oven, add 1 tsp of sauce to each cup, top with cheese and pepperoni. Bake again for 5 minutes.
- Let them cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.