*Slow cooker * Weeknight meal * Kid approved * Gluten-free
Fall is right around the corner so it’s time for the slow cooker to take control in the kitchen. This dish only takes about 5 minutes of prep time before you rush out the door. Come home to a flavorful fall off the bone chicken and potato dinner that the whole family will love.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs medium-sized red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c Dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar (you can add up to 3 – taste mixture before adding)
- 1/4 c water
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, combine syrup, balsamic vinegar and mustard until fully mixed.
- Place potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Nestle the onion anywhere you can. Add the water.
- Place chicken over potatoes and coat with balsamic mixture (ensuring all of them are covered). It might not seem like a lot of sauce but it will be.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4.
- You can use chicken breasts or thighs instead of drumsticks. I’m honestly not the biggest fan of chicken breasts cooking on low for hours, but it’ll work on high. I find that darker meats hold up to low and slow cooking better.
- You can use honey instead of syrup, same amount.
- Add some red pepper flakes for the adults.
- Pair with some greens; veggies or salad.