*Weeknight meal *Vegetarian *Kid approved
I love lentils because they are so versatile, delicious, easy to make, and my whole family devours them. My quick weeknight version is slightly different than my regular one. I left out carrots and celery simply to avoid extra chopping and because sometimes I’m out of one or both. Also, I’m not a runny yolk kinda gal. I eat mine with a hard boiled egg. This dish can be as simple or as creative as you’d like.
- 1c small green lentils, rinsed. I use Trader Joe’s small whole green lentils*
- 2 1/2c vegetable or chicken broth, I use low sodium It’s Better than Boullion
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste, after the lentils are cooked
- 4 eggs; fried, poached, or hard boiled
- 4 cups cooked rice (I use Seeds of Change instant rice if I’m not making my own)
- In a saucepan, combine lentils, broth, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and pepper. Do not salt! The lentils will not soften if you add salt before cooking completely. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes. The lentils should be tender.
- Remove bay leaf, garlic and onion. Add salt to taste.
- Serve lentils over rice and top with an egg.
- You can top this with avocado slices , cilantro and hot sauce (my fave). An olive oil and balsamic drizzle is also a great combo.
- To reheat in a microwave or stovetop, simply add some water to your lentils and stir. The same goes for any leftover rice.